Coastal Celebrant Claire Goodwin  
Marriage Celebrant
Justice of the Peace
Previously known by Claire Coorie
Home. About Claire. Getting Married. Other Ceremonies. Testimonials. Photos. Contact. Links.

What are our Legal Requirements?

• You are required to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) supplied by me or downloaded from Attorney General Web site.

• Completion, signed and witnessed NOIM  by me (or approved authority) is the giving of notice to the Celebrant of one calendar month prior to the date of the ceremony.

• Once lodged with me, the NOIM is a valid document for a period of 18 months. This can be sent from overseas by fax or email. The original should be given to the celebrant by Registered Post from overseas.

• You must both be 18 years of age or older.

• You must provide proof of Age, by production of Birth Certificates, Australian or overseas Passports as well as photo ID.  

• If there has been a previous marriage(s) you must show evidence of your recent divorce papers (Decree Absolute) which is the final letter from the Divorce Court or, if applicable, Death Certificate of a former spouse.

• At your wedding, you must have two witnesses to sign the documents both 18 years or older.

• All documents must be written in English, or a translated copy certified and signed by an accredited translator.

• During the Wedding Ceremony, if a party is unable to speak English and unable to understand the translation, an accredited Interpreter must be in attendance and complete a Statutory Declaration.

• The Celebrant must sight all original documents.

• A non-refundable Booking Fee is payable at Completion of the NOIM. This secures the date and time of the ceremony in my diary.  Balance of the agreed fee is due and payable 14 days prior to the Wedding date.

• As stated in the Marriage Act 1961, a Declaration of Marriage needs to be signed prior to the wedding, which declares that each party believes that there is no legal impediment to their marriage.

• Under the Marriage Act 1961 any person under the age of eighteen years of age must obtain parental consent and approval of a court of law.

Marriage Certificate

When you get married, your marriage celebrant prepares three certificates of marriage. All three certificates contain the details of your marriage and you and your witnesses will be required to sign all three certificates.

They are:

• The Marriage Register retained by the marriage celebrant for their records;

• The certificate that will be forwarded to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages for the registration of your marriage; and

• The certificate that you will be given on the day as your record of the marriage. You are now a married person, not single.

Remember that the Marriage Certificate you receive is a Legal Document.  It is evidence of your change in marital status. It is not a proof of identity document and, in some cases, will not be accepted as such.

Your marriage celebrant will supply and guide you through the application form to obtain the fully typed Registered Marriage Certificate produced by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages after registration of the marriage. This Registered Certificate is necessary as formal proof of ID after the marriage. Method of Payment, by the couple, is provided on this form direct to BDM.

© 2006 2009 2012 Claire Goodwin & Designed by Claire Goodwin   Phone: (02) 4397 1297  Mobile: 0402 573 301